Thursday, October 22, 2015

Clinical Update: Every Mother Counts

This isn't a personal blog. I don't usually talk about my personal experiences or feelings here. But I'm going to today, because this is too important not to talk about.

When I was about 17, my dad took me to see the movie Schindler's List. He said, "We don't usually see movies like this (my parents were very strict about media consumption) but I feel like we have a responsibility, as people of German descent, to see this, to bear witness. Because the Holocaust happened, and because our ancestors were part of it, we have a responsibility to bear witness and make sure it never happens again." It was a sobering thought for a high schooler who grew up in a safe, comfortable world.

So why do I bring this up?

Because one of my colleagues shared this link with me:
and reminded me that once again I find myself part of a privileged class, bearing witness as racially biased, systemic violence occurs to women and their children in the US and around the world. And I have a choice--to turn away and pretend I don't see or am unable to help, or to try to intervene, to do something to save lives and prevent harm.

It's tempting to turn away. It's frightening and uncomfortable to see this happening. It hurts and it is frightening to look at this, to acknowledge that I might be even a small part of the problem. It would be easier to turn away. It would be easier not see.

But I see. If you're willing to see too, you can watch the video below, or visit:


Today, I'm donating my income, the money I make--just today, to help. That's something I can do. It's not an enormous, big step, but it's something I can do right now, today. I'd encourage you to look at what you can do, whether it's volunteering in your own community, donating to a scholarship fund to help us get more midwives of color serving women of color, or helping Every Mother Counts.

This matters. We have a responsibility to mothers, as women, as human beings to bear witness and to hear our conscience voices. We have a responsibility to help. They need our help.